Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A case against God

Hello fellow bloggers. I am a newly converted atheist, so to speak. I have serious concerns with the authenticity of the bible and the attributes of God.

What are the three main attributes of God? Any Sunday school attending Christian should easily be able to answer this simple question. Let's see, God is omnipotent which means he has unlimited powers or all powerful. God is omniscient which means he has total knowledge or he knows everything. God is omnipresent which means he is everywhere at the same time.

Now in order for a document or book to be authentic the overall theme must be the same from beginning to end. If God is truly omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent then the overall theme of the Bible should reflect this. What if I could show scriptures in the bible that refute these three attributes of God.

Well let's start with God's omnipotence. As stated earlier this means God is all powerful. Right? Let's take a quick look at Judges 1:19.

The LORD was with the men of Judah. They took possession of the hill country, but they were unable to drive the people from the plains, because they had iron chariots.

Interesting isn't it. From childhood I was always taught that with God anything is possible. If God was with the men of Judah why weren't that able to drive the soldiers from the plains with the iron chariots? Is iron God's kryptonite? Moving on.

Now we will take a look at God's omniscience. There are many passages that I could list to show that the God of the bible does not possess this attribute. However for the sake of time I will only pick two.

In Genesis 18 God, through is omniscience, decided that the man that he created needed a companion. In verses 19-21 of the same book God forms all the land animals and birds from the ground. However, notice this in verse 19: And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them. Why would an omniscient God need to see what Adam would call the animals? Shouldn't he already have known what Adam would name the animals?

Let's look at the myth, ahem...excuse me, story....of Noah and the flood. Genesis 6:6-7 says:


And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. So the LORD said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.

This passage brings a multitude of serious concerns regarding the nature and mind of God. However, I will only deal with his so called omniscience. It says here that God was sorry that he made man because of how wicked he turned out to be. I'm no bible scholar, but I have a fair amount of common sense. My common sense is asking, "Why would you create a group of people that you knew you would destroy?" Why was God sorry for making man when he should have already known that they would be evil? Oh yea I know, I know....God's ways are not our ways.

What God's about omnipresence. We need to look no further than Genesis chapter 11 which introduces the famous tower of Babel. Let's look at verses 5 and 11. I'm sure the serious bible readers already know where I'm going with this. Verse 5: But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower which the sons of men had built. Verse 7: Come, let Us go down and there confuse their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.”

I'm sure even bible-thumpin, holy-ghost filled saints can see a problem here. If God is omnipresent, which means he's everywhere at once, then he should have already been there when those people were constructing the tower. He should not have had to go down to see the city. Besides, since he is omniscience he should have already known what was going on.

There are passages in the bible that indicate God is omnipotent, omniscient and omnipresent. However, there are also many passages in the same bible that refute those claims. Let's say you are looking for a receptionist to run your office. I initially turn in an application to your office. When you interview me I hand you my resume. Now on the application I put that I type 85 wpm. On the resume I put that I only type 25 wpm. On the application I put that I have 6 years of experience running an office. On the resume I put that I only have 6 months of experience running an office. When you ask me about the discrepancies I give a vague answer that really doesn't make sense. Mr. or Ms. Believer, would you hire me? Probably not. Why? Because my resume and application contradict each other on several points and no valid explanation is given.

Bingo!!!!! That's why I am no longer a Christian. Why? Because the bible is full of contradictions and discrepancies and no valid explanation is given.
I have come to the conclusion that the bible is a book filled with myths and fables. The God of the bible is an idea created by men.


Please post your comments. I'll be happy to respond.

No comments: